Saturday, September 12, 2009

Film Studies

The film minor at UCLA requires seven courses in four different categories. I fulfilled four  reqs on topics that interested me most, like screenwriting and editing. The last three were mostly history courses. I appreciate history, but I'd rather not sit in long lectures about them. A few lectures for one course I took covered silent films. For four hours. Each.

I spoke with academic counselors and asked if I could substitute courses for those requirements. They said no, those requirements are in place to give students "a wide scope of knowledge within film."

I believe filmmakers should be exposed to a variety of genres and styles. But if the film minor intended to build a well-rounded student, why do some courses not fulfill any requirement, like a course on producing independent features? Of all the courses I've taken, that was the single most useful class. It provided practical information for a career.

Two other classes that would not count: one where I was a production assistant on a short film, and a writing course where scenes we wrote were performed by student actors weekly. Again, two of the most useful courses I've ever taken. Yet they would not count towards the film minor simply because they were offered by the theater department.

It's a major disappointment that classes that provide an education as well as practical experience for a career are not considered to give students a "wide scope of knowledge." To top it off, one of the counselors I recently dealt with was disgustingly rude. (Really, why work with students if you're gonna be a dick about it?) I know requirements are in place for a reason, but I absolutely hate that administration so often fails to serve the needs of students.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Free Blogger Templates by Isnaini Dot Com and Bridal Gowns. Powered by Blogger